- What's New
- 11/22/13 - All American Breakfast Benefits HaysMed Hospice
- 11/13/13 - HaysMed Receives Primary Stroke Center Hospital Certification
- 11/11/13 - Hansen Foundation Funds Grant to HaysMed
- 11/7/13 - HaysMed DNV, ISO Certified
- 11/7/13 - Changes Taking Place at HaysMed
- 11/5/13 - HaysMed Announces Change in Services
- 11/3/13 - Four New Physicians Join HaysMed
- 11/1/13 - HaysMed Welcomes Three New Cardiologists
- 10/25/13 - Alliance Aids Patients
- 10/21/13 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar 2013
- 10/7/13 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled October 20
- 10/3/13 - HaysMed Unveils "One Stop Shop"
- 10/2/13 - Remembering Together Walk Scheduled
- 9/30/2013 - HaysMed a State Health Champion
- 9/27/13 - HaysMed Opens Clinic in Great Bend
- 9/26/13 - Breast Care Center and Imaging Now Seeing Patients at New Location at HaysMed
- 9/23/13 - How to Live Healthier with Congestive Heart Failure
- 9/20/13 - Last Chance Seminar for EMTs/Nurses
- 9/19/13 - Professional Forensic Program Scheduled
- 9/13/13 - HaysMed Offers Up Overseas Fare
- 9/9/13 - Groups Partner on Stroll to Help Promote Infant Care
- 9/1/13 - HaysMed Provides Nurse Hotline
- 8/25/13 - Mud Run Ends With Wedding Vows
- 8/19/2013 - Living Your LIfe Better When You Suffer from Chronic Disease
- 8/14/13 - Teen Speaker Shares Stories of Life With Type 1 Diabetes
- 8/2/13 - X-Treme Zone After School Program Offered
- 7/16/13 - Big Creek Mud Run
- 7/15/13 - Bargains on the Bricks FREE Bootcamp Workout
- 7/7/13 - Chest Pain Accreditation
- 7/1/13 - Breast Care Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 6/28/13 - Free Family Bootcamp Workout
- 6/24/13 - HaysMed Designated Accredited Chest Pain Center
- 5/16/13 - Free Program on Stroke Offered
- 5/15/13 - KOMEN Race an Overwhelming Success
- 5/12/13 - Local Race for a Cure - Celebrate Survivors
- 5/6/13 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp Scheduled at CHI
- 5/6/13 - Senior Health and FItness Day Scheduled May 29
- 5/3/13 - Event shows how important time is with strokes
- 5/2/13 - Let's Talk on Arthritis Scheduled May 16
- 4/29/13 - HaysMed Offers KidsQuest Summer Program
- 4/17/13 - HaysMed Heart Clinic Makes Move to New Wing
- 4/12/13 - DeBakey Heart Institute Opens Newly Remodeled Clinic
- 4/11/13 - FREE Park Crawl Exercise Workout
- 4/4/13 - Clean Machine
- 4/1/13 - SANE sees progress; more needed
- 3/17/13 - HaysMed Serves Up New Menu
- 3/17/13 - Dominoes Falling Into Place at HaysMed
- 3/13/13 - Let's Talk About Back Pain Scheduled for March 28
- 3/13/13 - HaysMed Signs Agreements With All KanCare's MCOs
- 3/12/13 - 11th Annual Sports Medicine Symposium Scheduled
- 3/1/13 - HaysMed Foundation New Board Members and Officers
- 1/29/13 - Public CPR Training at HaysMed
- 1/17/13 - HaysMed Helps United Way Reach Goal
- 1/14/13 - 99.3% of HaysMed Healthcare Workers Receive Flu Shot
- 1/14/13 - Living Better With Chronic Diseases
- 1/13/13 - HaysMed Restricts Visitor Access
- 1/11/13 - HaysMed, Patients Await Changes
- 1/11/13 - Visitor Restrictions at HaysMed
- 1/7/13 - New Year's Baby
- 1/7/2013 - New Physician Joins HaysMed
- 1/7/2013 - HaysMed Offers KickStart
- 12/26/12 - Hospitals Gaining Access to Electronic Health Records
- 12/13/12 - New Member Appointed to HaysMed Board
- 11/27/12 - HaysMed Expands Cancer Institute and Breast Care Center
- 11/26/12 - KickStart Registration Begins Dec 1
- 11/7/12 - HayMed Emergency Department Renovations
- 10/26/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/25/12 - Patient Simulator Used for Training at HaysMed
- 10/25/12 - FDA NECC Product Recall
- 10/17/12 - Flu Season
- 10/15/12 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar
- 10/2/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/2/12 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled
- 9/18/12 - FREE Park Crawl Workout Sept 29
- 9/17/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/16/12 - Expo Will Help Parents of Infants
- 9/5/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/2/12 - HaysMed Hepatitis C Update
- 8/28/12 - FREE Chronic Disease Program Offered at HaysMed
- 8/27/12 - Mud Run 2012
- 8/26/12 - New Hampshire Hospital Continues Tests
- 8/27/12 - Flamingo 5K Scheduled Oct 13
- 8/23/12 - Parking Lot Closure
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Names New Chief Medical Officer
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 8/12/12 - Negative Test Delights Woman
- 8/11/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 8/5/12 - Details Emerging on Serial Infector
- 7/30/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 7/29/12 - Hays Daily News Editorial Hep C
- 7/25/12 - Mud Run Scheduled August 26
- 7/22/12 - HaysMed/KDHE Look to Alert Patients
- 7/20/12 - HaysMed /KDHE Investigate Potential Hepatitis C Exposures
- 7/19/12 - KU Cancer Center Director Visits HaysMed
- 7/19/12 - Doctors Look Forward to Digital Exchange
- 7/15/12 - CHI Promotes Exercise is Medicine
- 6/28/12 - Wind Sculptures Dedicated at HaysMed
- 6/21/12 - HaysMed Receives Kansas Health Foundation Grant
- 6/18/12 - HaysMed Declared Emergent Stroke Ready by the American Heart Association
- 6/14/12 - Area Hospital Participate in Safety Initiative
- 5/23/12 - CHI Triathlon Scheduled June 23
- 5/21/12 - Mixed Martial Arts Summer Camp for Teens
- 5/10/12 - Beam Signing Held at HaysMed Bickle Family Tower
- 5/9/12 - HaysMed Breast Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 5/3/12 - Bully Prevention Summer Camp
- 5/1/12 - Sr. Health and Fitness Day Scheduled May 30
- 4/30/12 - Dr. Vic Eddy Outpatient Surgical Unit Dedicated at HaysMed
- 4/26/12 - HaysMed Launches ONE CALL
- 4/24/12 - Cancer Transitions Program Begins May 3
- 4/16/12 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp for Kids
- 4/15/12 - Hays Events Prescribe Healthy Habits
- 4/11/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Board Changes
- 4/10/12 - HaysMed Event Promotes Healthy Living
- 4/3/12 - Free Chronic Disease Management Program Begins May 3
- 3/26/12 - Nutrition Bootcamp Scheduled
- 3/26/12 - Breast Cancer Survivors Program
- 3/23/12 - New Lift System at HaysMed
- 3/20/12 - 10K Walk/Run Scheduled April 28
- 3/18/12 - HaysMed Provides Services to Western Kansas
- 3/15/12 - Family Adventure to Health
- 2/14/12 - Bootcamp "Crazy" for Participants
- 2/6/12 - CHI Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- 2/6/12 - Events Highlight CHI Celebration
- 2/6/12 - HaysMed Prescribing Exercise Along With Medicine
- 2/3/12 - HaysMed Associate Honored as Most Valuable Citizen
- 2/2/12 - National Fitness Expert Conducts Crazy Combo Exercise Bootcamp Feb 13
- 2/2/12 - Public CPR Training Feb 25
- 2/2/12 - KDOT Crews Play Role in Saving Heart Attack Victim
- 2/2/12 - HaysMed Foundation Receives $35,000
- 2/1/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Scholarship
- 2/1/12 HaysMed Verified as Level III Trauma Center
- 1/30/12 - National Speaker Joe Piscatella to Present at HaysMed
- 1/27/12 HaysMed Working for Health Options
- 1/24/12 - Community Health Needs Assessment
- 1/18/12 - HaysMed Capital Campaign Receives Donation
- 1/6/12 - Kickstart Begins
- 1/5/12 - New Year's Baby at HaysMed
- 1/5/12 - RN Receives HaysMed's First Daisy Award
- 12/2/11 - Weight Loss Program Makes Change
- 12/1/11 HaysMed's Center for Improvement Launches Kickstart
- 11/11/11 - Ellis woman enjoying life after medical 'miracle' at HaysMed
- 10/13/11 - HaysMed Discusses HIE with KHIN
- 9/22/11 - Groundbreaking Set for Larned Hospital
- 9/19/11 - The Center Receives National Accreditation
- 9/9/11 - HaysMed Plans $18.5 Million Expansion
- 9/9/1 - HaysMed Foundation Announces Campaign
- 9/7/11 Drive Thru Flu
- 8/28/11 Mud Mania
- 8/25/11 Mud Run HDN
- 8/22/11 New Nephrologist
- 8/8/11 Chronic Disease Program
- 7/26/11 STRIDE Half Marathon
- 7/20/11 Wound and Hyperbaric
- 7/18/11 Mud Run
- 7/17/11 CHI 10K Run Walk
- 5/4/11 Senior Health and Fitness
- 5/1/11 Senior Focused Care
Ellis Woman Enjoying Life After Medical Miracle
By KALEY CONNER
Hays Daily News
ELLIS -- This Thanksgiving season, Lisa Grubb has much to be thankful for.
For starters, the Ellis woman simply is happy to be alive.
"Everybody jokes with me that I must have nine lives," she said with a laugh. "I must have used seven of them already."
Grubb has been hospitalized seven times since a close call in May sent her to Hays Medical Center via ambulance.
She woke May 15 with severe chest pain, and it was discovered her aorta -- the main artery that takes blood from the heart to the body -- had begun to tear.
Grubb has been diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, a hereditary disorder affecting the body's connective tissue. Her mother died when her aorta ruptured approximately 20 years ago, and since then, Grubb, along with a sibling and her son have been diagnosed.
She told emergency responders not to spend time checking for a heart attack.
"I told the ER people right away, 'My mom's aorta ruptured. I know what's going on,' " she said.
Grubb was rushed in for an emergency surgery performed by cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Elizabeth Ashworth. Ashworth, who began work at Hays Med in January, had to replace a section of Grubb's aorta and restore blood flow to the upper portion of her body.
She had done several such procedures throughout her career, but it was the first time an operation of that magnitude had been performed in Hays, she said.
Another factor complicating the surgery was the procedure was done under circulatory arrest, in which the patient is kept cold so the body requires little oxygen.
Grubb was in surgery for 11 hours, and Ashworth calls her a "miracle patient."
"To come through the length of surgery that she did with the degree of the dissections she had -- the mortality risk from her particular situation was probably at least 20 to 25 percent," Ashworth said. "She did extremely well."
Grubb was in a coma for eight days following the surgery and had what she only can describe as a near-death experience.
"In my coma, I remember seeing a white light all the time. My dad was trying to get me to stay. He's in heaven," she said. "My family kept saying they were praying so hard, they got me to come back."
Grubb underwent a second surgery May 31, after her husband, Tom, discovered she had stopped breathing. One of the repairs completed during the initial surgery had begun to tear, she said. She was in the hospital another 45 days.
Today, Grubb is continuing to recover at home. She also has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and is being monitored weekly to ensure her lungs do not fill with fluid.
She's feeling "a lot better," she said, despite the fact she can't walk far and still speaks in a hoarse whisper. Her vocal chords have not yet fully recovered from the various procedures.
She's feeling well enough, however, to know the difficult experiences have changed the way she wants to live.
"You definitely want to enjoy every day to the fullest, because you never know when it's going to be your last -- that's for sure," she said. "They've coded me like six, seven times -- each time they thought I was gone.
"I was caught by surprise when it happened. ... I just enjoy my family and am not taking things so seriously. And I just love everything, every minute I'm breathing."