- What's New
- 11/22/13 - All American Breakfast Benefits HaysMed Hospice
- 11/13/13 - HaysMed Receives Primary Stroke Center Hospital Certification
- 11/11/13 - Hansen Foundation Funds Grant to HaysMed
- 11/7/13 - HaysMed DNV, ISO Certified
- 11/7/13 - Changes Taking Place at HaysMed
- 11/5/13 - HaysMed Announces Change in Services
- 11/3/13 - Four New Physicians Join HaysMed
- 11/1/13 - HaysMed Welcomes Three New Cardiologists
- 10/25/13 - Alliance Aids Patients
- 10/21/13 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar 2013
- 10/7/13 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled October 20
- 10/3/13 - HaysMed Unveils "One Stop Shop"
- 10/2/13 - Remembering Together Walk Scheduled
- 9/30/2013 - HaysMed a State Health Champion
- 9/27/13 - HaysMed Opens Clinic in Great Bend
- 9/26/13 - Breast Care Center and Imaging Now Seeing Patients at New Location at HaysMed
- 9/23/13 - How to Live Healthier with Congestive Heart Failure
- 9/20/13 - Last Chance Seminar for EMTs/Nurses
- 9/19/13 - Professional Forensic Program Scheduled
- 9/13/13 - HaysMed Offers Up Overseas Fare
- 9/9/13 - Groups Partner on Stroll to Help Promote Infant Care
- 9/1/13 - HaysMed Provides Nurse Hotline
- 8/25/13 - Mud Run Ends With Wedding Vows
- 8/19/2013 - Living Your LIfe Better When You Suffer from Chronic Disease
- 8/14/13 - Teen Speaker Shares Stories of Life With Type 1 Diabetes
- 8/2/13 - X-Treme Zone After School Program Offered
- 7/16/13 - Big Creek Mud Run
- 7/15/13 - Bargains on the Bricks FREE Bootcamp Workout
- 7/7/13 - Chest Pain Accreditation
- 7/1/13 - Breast Care Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 6/28/13 - Free Family Bootcamp Workout
- 6/24/13 - HaysMed Designated Accredited Chest Pain Center
- 5/16/13 - Free Program on Stroke Offered
- 5/15/13 - KOMEN Race an Overwhelming Success
- 5/12/13 - Local Race for a Cure - Celebrate Survivors
- 5/6/13 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp Scheduled at CHI
- 5/6/13 - Senior Health and FItness Day Scheduled May 29
- 5/3/13 - Event shows how important time is with strokes
- 5/2/13 - Let's Talk on Arthritis Scheduled May 16
- 4/29/13 - HaysMed Offers KidsQuest Summer Program
- 4/17/13 - HaysMed Heart Clinic Makes Move to New Wing
- 4/12/13 - DeBakey Heart Institute Opens Newly Remodeled Clinic
- 4/11/13 - FREE Park Crawl Exercise Workout
- 4/4/13 - Clean Machine
- 4/1/13 - SANE sees progress; more needed
- 3/17/13 - HaysMed Serves Up New Menu
- 3/17/13 - Dominoes Falling Into Place at HaysMed
- 3/13/13 - Let's Talk About Back Pain Scheduled for March 28
- 3/13/13 - HaysMed Signs Agreements With All KanCare's MCOs
- 3/12/13 - 11th Annual Sports Medicine Symposium Scheduled
- 3/1/13 - HaysMed Foundation New Board Members and Officers
- 1/29/13 - Public CPR Training at HaysMed
- 1/17/13 - HaysMed Helps United Way Reach Goal
- 1/14/13 - 99.3% of HaysMed Healthcare Workers Receive Flu Shot
- 1/14/13 - Living Better With Chronic Diseases
- 1/13/13 - HaysMed Restricts Visitor Access
- 1/11/13 - HaysMed, Patients Await Changes
- 1/11/13 - Visitor Restrictions at HaysMed
- 1/7/13 - New Year's Baby
- 1/7/2013 - New Physician Joins HaysMed
- 1/7/2013 - HaysMed Offers KickStart
- 12/26/12 - Hospitals Gaining Access to Electronic Health Records
- 12/13/12 - New Member Appointed to HaysMed Board
- 11/27/12 - HaysMed Expands Cancer Institute and Breast Care Center
- 11/26/12 - KickStart Registration Begins Dec 1
- 11/7/12 - HayMed Emergency Department Renovations
- 10/26/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/25/12 - Patient Simulator Used for Training at HaysMed
- 10/25/12 - FDA NECC Product Recall
- 10/17/12 - Flu Season
- 10/15/12 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar
- 10/2/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/2/12 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled
- 9/18/12 - FREE Park Crawl Workout Sept 29
- 9/17/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/16/12 - Expo Will Help Parents of Infants
- 9/5/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/2/12 - HaysMed Hepatitis C Update
- 8/28/12 - FREE Chronic Disease Program Offered at HaysMed
- 8/27/12 - Mud Run 2012
- 8/26/12 - New Hampshire Hospital Continues Tests
- 8/27/12 - Flamingo 5K Scheduled Oct 13
- 8/23/12 - Parking Lot Closure
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Names New Chief Medical Officer
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 8/12/12 - Negative Test Delights Woman
- 8/11/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 8/5/12 - Details Emerging on Serial Infector
- 7/30/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 7/29/12 - Hays Daily News Editorial Hep C
- 7/25/12 - Mud Run Scheduled August 26
- 7/22/12 - HaysMed/KDHE Look to Alert Patients
- 7/20/12 - HaysMed /KDHE Investigate Potential Hepatitis C Exposures
- 7/19/12 - KU Cancer Center Director Visits HaysMed
- 7/19/12 - Doctors Look Forward to Digital Exchange
- 7/15/12 - CHI Promotes Exercise is Medicine
- 6/28/12 - Wind Sculptures Dedicated at HaysMed
- 6/21/12 - HaysMed Receives Kansas Health Foundation Grant
- 6/18/12 - HaysMed Declared Emergent Stroke Ready by the American Heart Association
- 6/14/12 - Area Hospital Participate in Safety Initiative
- 5/23/12 - CHI Triathlon Scheduled June 23
- 5/21/12 - Mixed Martial Arts Summer Camp for Teens
- 5/10/12 - Beam Signing Held at HaysMed Bickle Family Tower
- 5/9/12 - HaysMed Breast Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 5/3/12 - Bully Prevention Summer Camp
- 5/1/12 - Sr. Health and Fitness Day Scheduled May 30
- 4/30/12 - Dr. Vic Eddy Outpatient Surgical Unit Dedicated at HaysMed
- 4/26/12 - HaysMed Launches ONE CALL
- 4/24/12 - Cancer Transitions Program Begins May 3
- 4/16/12 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp for Kids
- 4/15/12 - Hays Events Prescribe Healthy Habits
- 4/11/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Board Changes
- 4/10/12 - HaysMed Event Promotes Healthy Living
- 4/3/12 - Free Chronic Disease Management Program Begins May 3
- 3/26/12 - Nutrition Bootcamp Scheduled
- 3/26/12 - Breast Cancer Survivors Program
- 3/23/12 - New Lift System at HaysMed
- 3/20/12 - 10K Walk/Run Scheduled April 28
- 3/18/12 - HaysMed Provides Services to Western Kansas
- 3/15/12 - Family Adventure to Health
- 2/14/12 - Bootcamp "Crazy" for Participants
- 2/6/12 - CHI Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- 2/6/12 - Events Highlight CHI Celebration
- 2/6/12 - HaysMed Prescribing Exercise Along With Medicine
- 2/3/12 - HaysMed Associate Honored as Most Valuable Citizen
- 2/2/12 - National Fitness Expert Conducts Crazy Combo Exercise Bootcamp Feb 13
- 2/2/12 - Public CPR Training Feb 25
- 2/2/12 - KDOT Crews Play Role in Saving Heart Attack Victim
- 2/2/12 - HaysMed Foundation Receives $35,000
- 2/1/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Scholarship
- 2/1/12 HaysMed Verified as Level III Trauma Center
- 1/30/12 - National Speaker Joe Piscatella to Present at HaysMed
- 1/27/12 HaysMed Working for Health Options
- 1/24/12 - Community Health Needs Assessment
- 1/18/12 - HaysMed Capital Campaign Receives Donation
- 1/6/12 - Kickstart Begins
- 1/5/12 - New Year's Baby at HaysMed
- 1/5/12 - RN Receives HaysMed's First Daisy Award
- 12/2/11 - Weight Loss Program Makes Change
- 12/1/11 HaysMed's Center for Improvement Launches Kickstart
- 11/11/11 - Ellis woman enjoying life after medical 'miracle' at HaysMed
- 10/13/11 - HaysMed Discusses HIE with KHIN
- 9/22/11 - Groundbreaking Set for Larned Hospital
- 9/19/11 - The Center Receives National Accreditation
- 9/9/11 - HaysMed Plans $18.5 Million Expansion
- 9/9/1 - HaysMed Foundation Announces Campaign
- 9/7/11 Drive Thru Flu
- 8/28/11 Mud Mania
- 8/25/11 Mud Run HDN
- 8/22/11 New Nephrologist
- 8/8/11 Chronic Disease Program
- 7/26/11 STRIDE Half Marathon
- 7/20/11 Wound and Hyperbaric
- 7/18/11 Mud Run
- 7/17/11 CHI 10K Run Walk
- 5/4/11 Senior Health and Fitness
- 5/1/11 Senior Focused Care
Banquet shines light
Photo and Awards Presentation
Published on -2/3/2012
Hays Daily News
By DAWNE LEIKER
Hays Area Chamber of Commerce members celebrated the accomplishments of local business professionals during its annual banquet, Step Up and Step Out in 2012, on Thursday night at the Memorial Union Ballroom on the Fort Hays State University campus.
Strengthening ties and fostering more involvement with young professionals, the chamber implemented a new award, the Eagle Communications Rising Star award, naming its first recipient during the banquet's awards presentation.
Rising Star award winner Shane Smith, assistant vice president and commercial loan officer of Commerce Bank, has been involved with the Hays Area Young Professionals since he and his wife, Stacey, moved back to Hays in 2009. Smith quickly became a leader in the organization, according to Tammy Wellbrock, executive director of the Hays Area Chamber of Commerce.
Smith, a native of Jetmore and FHSU graduate, also has been active in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ellis County and Hays Area Children's Center. He and his wife have two children.
"They are a fine family to have in the community," said Tom Thomas, president of Commerce Bank. "That's what Hays is looking for, those young adults coming back to town who want to raise their families here.
"Shane has a strong character. He's proactive and wants to do what he can in the community, not only to help young people, but to help the bank grow, too."
Thomas said he was glad to see the chamber implement the new award and recognize young professionals who are fulfilling leadership roles in the community.
Receiving many quality nominations for the new award was encouraging for Wellbrock.
"We always have good nominations for all our awards, but this was almost overwhelming to see all the people who were qualified," she said. "I love that they got behind this so wholeheartedly and sought different ways of recognizing their peers."
Other chamber award winners honored included:
* Pioneer Photography owners Leon and Ann Staab received the James Motor Co. Business Achievement Award. The Staabs, who retired Dec. 30 from Pioneer Photography, had been a part of the downtown Hays business landscape for 37 years.
"It takes a lot of people to build a downtown district, and it takes a few leaders," Traci Konrade, executive director of Downtown Hays Development Corp., said when asked about the Staabs' contributions. "It's really nice to see that those leaders get recognized for the hard work that they do."
* Girl Scouts of Kansas Heartland Business Woman of the Year, Michelle Flax owner of Bildschon Windows, was nominated by Konrade, who said the nomination stemmed from Flax's influence on her as a career woman.
"A lot of people have those influences from professors at college, but as a working wife and mom, (Flax's influence) kind of shaped the career path that I wanted to take."
* The Most Valuable Citizen Award was given to Lance Smith, biomedicine manager at Hays Medical Center. Smith's positive attitude was a driving factor in the decision to nominate him, said Nikki Adams, director of associate development at HaysMed.
"I don't think there's anybody more deserving of an award like this than Lance," she said. "He's involved with the community and Wild West Festival.
"He's just a great individual."
More than 30 Wild West Committee members, family and friends who filed into the Memorial Union Ballroom to support Smith as he received the award attested to the fact Smith has touched many lives in the Hays community.
* Receiving the Hall of Fame Award, Bob Helm, Midwest Energy manager of corporate communications, has been active in the Hays community for many years. As an Optimist Club, Tiger Club and HACC member, Helm has maintained a high level of civic involvement.
He also has helped Midwest Energy ensure it gives back to its customers through various charitable organizations, said Tom Meis, Midwest Energy vice president of finance.
"Around the company, he is the guy that makes newcomers feel welcome and a part of the organization," he said. "He's been a major contributor to the community over the years.
"He's a positive force."
Merril Teller, chief meteorologist at KWCH-TV since 1981, gave the evening's keynote address.
In an effort to describe Kansas weather, Teller said the best term he could arrive at was "diverse."
"We really do have it all," he said. "Sunshine and clouds, rain and snow, thunderstorms, tornadoes ... even the occasional remnants of a hurricane."
Teller's speech included a much-requested forecast for the winter storm that had been predicted for today.
His forecast for rain later Thursday night was immediately realized when banquet-goers left Memorial Union, most umbrella-less as a steady rain fell.
Leadership of the chamber board of directors also changed ceremonially as Past Chairman Patrick Lowry of The Hays Daily News passed the baton to Eric Norris, director of Hays Public Library.