- What's New
- 5/16/13 - Free Program on Stroke Offered
- 5/15/13 - KOMEN Race an Overwhelming Success
- 5/12/13 - Local Race for a Cure - Celebrate Survivors
- 5/6/13 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp Scheduled at CHI
- 5/6/13 - Senior Health and FItness Day Scheduled May 29
- 5/3/13 - Event shows how important time is with strokes
- 5/2/13 - Let's Talk on Arthritis Scheduled May 16
- 4/29/13 - HaysMed Offers KidsQuest Summer Program
- 4/17/13 - HaysMed Heart Clinic Makes Move to New Wing
- 4/12/13 - DeBakey Heart Institute Opens Newly Remodeled Clinic
- 4/11/13 - FREE Park Crawl Exercise Workout
- 4/4/13 - Clean Machine
- 4/1/13 - SANE sees progress; more needed
- 3/17/13 - HaysMed Serves Up New Menu
- 3/17/13 - Dominoes Falling Into Place at HaysMed
- 3/13/13 - Let's Talk About Back Pain Scheduled for March 28
- 3/13/13 - HaysMed Signs Agreements With All KanCare's MCOs
- 3/12/13 - 11th Annual Sports Medicine Symposium Scheduled
- 3/1/13 - HaysMed Foundation New Board Members and Officers
- 1/29/13 - Public CPR Training at HaysMed
- 1/17/13 - HaysMed Helps United Way Reach Goal
- 1/14/13 - 99.3% of HaysMed Healthcare Workers Receive Flu Shot
- 1/14/13 - Living Better With Chronic Diseases
- 1/13/13 - HaysMed Restricts Visitor Access
- 1/11/13 - HaysMed, Patients Await Changes
- 1/11/13 - Visitor Restrictions at HaysMed
- 1/7/13 - New Year's Baby
- 1/7/2013 - New Physician Joins HaysMed
- 1/7/2013 - HaysMed Offers KickStart
- 12/26/12 - Hospitals Gaining Access to Electronic Health Records
- 12/13/12 - New Member Appointed to HaysMed Board
- 11/27/12 - HaysMed Expands Cancer Institute and Breast Care Center
- 11/26/12 - KickStart Registration Begins Dec 1
- 11/7/12 - HayMed Emergency Department Renovations
- 10/26/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/25/12 - Patient Simulator Used for Training at HaysMed
- 10/25/12 - FDA NECC Product Recall
- 10/17/12 - Flu Season
- 10/15/12 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar
- 10/2/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/2/12 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled
- 9/18/12 - FREE Park Crawl Workout Sept 29
- 9/17/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/16/12 - Expo Will Help Parents of Infants
- 9/5/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/2/12 - HaysMed Hepatitis C Update
- 8/28/12 - FREE Chronic Disease Program Offered at HaysMed
- 8/27/12 - Mud Run 2012
- 8/26/12 - New Hampshire Hospital Continues Tests
- 8/27/12 - Flamingo 5K Scheduled Oct 13
- 8/23/12 - Parking Lot Closure
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Names New Chief Medical Officer
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 8/12/12 - Negative Test Delights Woman
- 8/11/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 8/5/12 - Details Emerging on Serial Infector
- 7/30/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 7/29/12 - Hays Daily News Editorial Hep C
- 7/25/12 - Mud Run Scheduled August 26
- 7/22/12 - HaysMed/KDHE Look to Alert Patients
- 7/20/12 - HaysMed /KDHE Investigate Potential Hepatitis C Exposures
- 7/19/12 - KU Cancer Center Director Visits HaysMed
- 7/19/12 - Doctors Look Forward to Digital Exchange
- 7/15/12 - CHI Promotes Exercise is Medicine
- 6/28/12 - Wind Sculptures Dedicated at HaysMed
- 6/21/12 - HaysMed Receives Kansas Health Foundation Grant
- 6/18/12 - HaysMed Declared Emergent Stroke Ready by the American Heart Association
- 6/14/12 - Area Hospital Participate in Safety Initiative
- 5/23/12 - CHI Triathlon Scheduled June 23
- 5/21/12 - Mixed Martial Arts Summer Camp for Teens
- 5/10/12 - Beam Signing Held at HaysMed Bickle Family Tower
- 5/9/12 - HaysMed Breast Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 5/3/12 - Bully Prevention Summer Camp
- 5/1/12 - Sr. Health and Fitness Day Scheduled May 30
- 4/30/12 - Dr. Vic Eddy Outpatient Surgical Unit Dedicated at HaysMed
- 4/26/12 - HaysMed Launches ONE CALL
- 4/24/12 - Cancer Transitions Program Begins May 3
- 4/16/12 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp for Kids
- 4/15/12 - Hays Events Prescribe Healthy Habits
- 4/11/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Board Changes
- 4/10/12 - HaysMed Event Promotes Healthy Living
- 4/3/12 - Free Chronic Disease Management Program Begins May 3
- 3/26/12 - Nutrition Bootcamp Scheduled
- 3/26/12 - Breast Cancer Survivors Program
- 3/23/12 - New Lift System at HaysMed
- 3/20/12 - 10K Walk/Run Scheduled April 28
- 3/18/12 - HaysMed Provides Services to Western Kansas
- 3/15/12 - Family Adventure to Health
- 2/14/12 - Bootcamp "Crazy" for Participants
- 2/6/12 - CHI Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- 2/6/12 - Events Highlight CHI Celebration
- 2/6/12 - HaysMed Prescribing Exercise Along With Medicine
- 2/3/12 - HaysMed Associate Honored as Most Valuable Citizen
- 2/2/12 - National Fitness Expert Conducts Crazy Combo Exercise Bootcamp Feb 13
- 2/2/12 - Public CPR Training Feb 25
- 2/2/12 - KDOT Crews Play Role in Saving Heart Attack Victim
- 2/2/12 - HaysMed Foundation Receives $35,000
- 2/1/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Scholarship
- 2/1/12 HaysMed Verified as Level III Trauma Center
- 1/30/12 - National Speaker Joe Piscatella to Present at HaysMed
- 1/27/12 HaysMed Working for Health Options
- 1/24/12 - Community Health Needs Assessment
- 1/18/12 - HaysMed Capital Campaign Receives Donation
- 1/6/12 - Kickstart Begins
- 1/5/12 - New Year's Baby at HaysMed
- 1/5/12 - RN Receives HaysMed's First Daisy Award
- 12/2/11 - Weight Loss Program Makes Change
- 12/1/11 HaysMed's Center for Improvement Launches Kickstart
- 11/11/11 - Ellis woman enjoying life after medical 'miracle' at HaysMed
- 10/13/11 - HaysMed Discusses HIE with KHIN
- 9/22/11 - Groundbreaking Set for Larned Hospital
- 9/19/11 - The Center Receives National Accreditation
- 9/9/11 - HaysMed Plans $18.5 Million Expansion
- 9/9/1 - HaysMed Foundation Announces Campaign
- 9/7/11 Drive Thru Flu
- 8/28/11 Mud Mania
- 8/25/11 Mud Run HDN
- 8/22/11 New Nephrologist
- 8/8/11 Chronic Disease Program
- 7/26/11 STRIDE Half Marathon
- 7/20/11 Wound and Hyperbaric
- 7/18/11 Mud Run
- 7/17/11 CHI 10K Run Walk
- 5/4/11 Senior Health and Fitness
- 5/1/11 Senior Focused Care
Hays Daily News
February 6, 2012
By GAYLE WEBER
In the beginning, Zava Hanson just wanted to get her husband as excited about exercise as she was. Seeing as how husband Bob already worked at Hays Medical Center, Zava decided the Center for Health Improvement would be a good way to get him involved. And for nearly 10 years, the Hansons have been loyal members, staying in shape for their hiking and skiing hobbies.
"We don't want to go gracefully into old age," said Zava, 61. "So we have some hobbies that require good physical condition."
The Hansons are two of approximately 300 members who got started with the Center for Health Improvement shortly after it opened in February 2002 and have stayed with it. In its 10 years, the center has evolved, most recently becoming accredited by the Medical Fitness Association, and has seen more than 10,500 people enroll as members, according to CHI statistics.
Operated by HaysMed, the Center for Health Improvement includes a gymnasium, weight facility, pool and specialty clinics aimed at patient wellness.
All the center has done for HaysMed patients and the community will be celebrated this month, first with an open house Thursday, then by special presentations Feb. 13 and 21.
"Everything has grown," said Stephanie Schaffer, fitness director at the center who has been there since it opened. "Our whole goal is to take care of the whole body."
Mary Frances Dreiling, rural Hays, has been taking care of herself for the past nine years at the center. She had used Fort Hays State University's pool for some time, but after a knee surgery, she decided to give the center a try.
"I got addicted, and I've been staying there ever since," the 91-year-old said.
Even though her knees have slowed her down, she's still able to do a variety of activities at the pool and in the gym.
"There's something for you to go to when you need it," Dreiling said.
Schaffer said the socialization aspect the center provides is part of the reason so many individuals continue to use the center.
"It's a spot that sometimes we overlook, but for many members, it's a way to come and socialize," Schaffer said. "They're exercising and having fun making friends, which is an important part of wellness."
Along with helping with wellness in the community, the Center for Health Improvement also includes numerous specialty clinics, including cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation.
Clinical coordinator Amy Choitz said the clinic provides outpatient therapy for those who have suffered heart attacks, had bypass surgeries, stents or other heart issues, as well as who suffer from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, restrictive lung disease or other ailments.
"We work to get them up to an ideal level of exercise safely," Choitz said.
The rehab unit was operating at HaysMed before the center came along; however, the addition of the center has helped to continue individuals' rehab even after physician-required sessions are finished.
"Our biggest goal is that the person continues with positive lifestyle changes," Choitz said.
And that could be said for the entire center, whose mission is "to help people get well sooner and stay well longer."