- What's New
- 11/22/13 - All American Breakfast Benefits HaysMed Hospice
- 11/13/13 - HaysMed Receives Primary Stroke Center Hospital Certification
- 11/11/13 - Hansen Foundation Funds Grant to HaysMed
- 11/7/13 - HaysMed DNV, ISO Certified
- 11/7/13 - Changes Taking Place at HaysMed
- 11/5/13 - HaysMed Announces Change in Services
- 11/3/13 - Four New Physicians Join HaysMed
- 11/1/13 - HaysMed Welcomes Three New Cardiologists
- 10/25/13 - Alliance Aids Patients
- 10/21/13 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar 2013
- 10/7/13 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled October 20
- 10/3/13 - HaysMed Unveils "One Stop Shop"
- 10/2/13 - Remembering Together Walk Scheduled
- 9/30/2013 - HaysMed a State Health Champion
- 9/27/13 - HaysMed Opens Clinic in Great Bend
- 9/26/13 - Breast Care Center and Imaging Now Seeing Patients at New Location at HaysMed
- 9/23/13 - How to Live Healthier with Congestive Heart Failure
- 9/20/13 - Last Chance Seminar for EMTs/Nurses
- 9/19/13 - Professional Forensic Program Scheduled
- 9/13/13 - HaysMed Offers Up Overseas Fare
- 9/9/13 - Groups Partner on Stroll to Help Promote Infant Care
- 9/1/13 - HaysMed Provides Nurse Hotline
- 8/25/13 - Mud Run Ends With Wedding Vows
- 8/19/2013 - Living Your LIfe Better When You Suffer from Chronic Disease
- 8/14/13 - Teen Speaker Shares Stories of Life With Type 1 Diabetes
- 8/2/13 - X-Treme Zone After School Program Offered
- 7/16/13 - Big Creek Mud Run
- 7/15/13 - Bargains on the Bricks FREE Bootcamp Workout
- 7/7/13 - Chest Pain Accreditation
- 7/1/13 - Breast Care Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 6/28/13 - Free Family Bootcamp Workout
- 6/24/13 - HaysMed Designated Accredited Chest Pain Center
- 5/16/13 - Free Program on Stroke Offered
- 5/15/13 - KOMEN Race an Overwhelming Success
- 5/12/13 - Local Race for a Cure - Celebrate Survivors
- 5/6/13 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp Scheduled at CHI
- 5/6/13 - Senior Health and FItness Day Scheduled May 29
- 5/3/13 - Event shows how important time is with strokes
- 5/2/13 - Let's Talk on Arthritis Scheduled May 16
- 4/29/13 - HaysMed Offers KidsQuest Summer Program
- 4/17/13 - HaysMed Heart Clinic Makes Move to New Wing
- 4/12/13 - DeBakey Heart Institute Opens Newly Remodeled Clinic
- 4/11/13 - FREE Park Crawl Exercise Workout
- 4/4/13 - Clean Machine
- 4/1/13 - SANE sees progress; more needed
- 3/17/13 - HaysMed Serves Up New Menu
- 3/17/13 - Dominoes Falling Into Place at HaysMed
- 3/13/13 - Let's Talk About Back Pain Scheduled for March 28
- 3/13/13 - HaysMed Signs Agreements With All KanCare's MCOs
- 3/12/13 - 11th Annual Sports Medicine Symposium Scheduled
- 3/1/13 - HaysMed Foundation New Board Members and Officers
- 1/29/13 - Public CPR Training at HaysMed
- 1/17/13 - HaysMed Helps United Way Reach Goal
- 1/14/13 - 99.3% of HaysMed Healthcare Workers Receive Flu Shot
- 1/14/13 - Living Better With Chronic Diseases
- 1/13/13 - HaysMed Restricts Visitor Access
- 1/11/13 - HaysMed, Patients Await Changes
- 1/11/13 - Visitor Restrictions at HaysMed
- 1/7/13 - New Year's Baby
- 1/7/2013 - New Physician Joins HaysMed
- 1/7/2013 - HaysMed Offers KickStart
- 12/26/12 - Hospitals Gaining Access to Electronic Health Records
- 12/13/12 - New Member Appointed to HaysMed Board
- 11/27/12 - HaysMed Expands Cancer Institute and Breast Care Center
- 11/26/12 - KickStart Registration Begins Dec 1
- 11/7/12 - HayMed Emergency Department Renovations
- 10/26/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/25/12 - Patient Simulator Used for Training at HaysMed
- 10/25/12 - FDA NECC Product Recall
- 10/17/12 - Flu Season
- 10/15/12 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar
- 10/2/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/2/12 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled
- 9/18/12 - FREE Park Crawl Workout Sept 29
- 9/17/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/16/12 - Expo Will Help Parents of Infants
- 9/5/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/2/12 - HaysMed Hepatitis C Update
- 8/28/12 - FREE Chronic Disease Program Offered at HaysMed
- 8/27/12 - Mud Run 2012
- 8/26/12 - New Hampshire Hospital Continues Tests
- 8/27/12 - Flamingo 5K Scheduled Oct 13
- 8/23/12 - Parking Lot Closure
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Names New Chief Medical Officer
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 8/12/12 - Negative Test Delights Woman
- 8/11/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 8/5/12 - Details Emerging on Serial Infector
- 7/30/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 7/29/12 - Hays Daily News Editorial Hep C
- 7/25/12 - Mud Run Scheduled August 26
- 7/22/12 - HaysMed/KDHE Look to Alert Patients
- 7/20/12 - HaysMed /KDHE Investigate Potential Hepatitis C Exposures
- 7/19/12 - KU Cancer Center Director Visits HaysMed
- 7/19/12 - Doctors Look Forward to Digital Exchange
- 7/15/12 - CHI Promotes Exercise is Medicine
- 6/28/12 - Wind Sculptures Dedicated at HaysMed
- 6/21/12 - HaysMed Receives Kansas Health Foundation Grant
- 6/18/12 - HaysMed Declared Emergent Stroke Ready by the American Heart Association
- 6/14/12 - Area Hospital Participate in Safety Initiative
- 5/23/12 - CHI Triathlon Scheduled June 23
- 5/21/12 - Mixed Martial Arts Summer Camp for Teens
- 5/10/12 - Beam Signing Held at HaysMed Bickle Family Tower
- 5/9/12 - HaysMed Breast Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 5/3/12 - Bully Prevention Summer Camp
- 5/1/12 - Sr. Health and Fitness Day Scheduled May 30
- 4/30/12 - Dr. Vic Eddy Outpatient Surgical Unit Dedicated at HaysMed
- 4/26/12 - HaysMed Launches ONE CALL
- 4/24/12 - Cancer Transitions Program Begins May 3
- 4/16/12 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp for Kids
- 4/15/12 - Hays Events Prescribe Healthy Habits
- 4/11/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Board Changes
- 4/10/12 - HaysMed Event Promotes Healthy Living
- 4/3/12 - Free Chronic Disease Management Program Begins May 3
- 3/26/12 - Nutrition Bootcamp Scheduled
- 3/26/12 - Breast Cancer Survivors Program
- 3/23/12 - New Lift System at HaysMed
- 3/20/12 - 10K Walk/Run Scheduled April 28
- 3/18/12 - HaysMed Provides Services to Western Kansas
- 3/15/12 - Family Adventure to Health
- 2/14/12 - Bootcamp "Crazy" for Participants
- 2/6/12 - CHI Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- 2/6/12 - Events Highlight CHI Celebration
- 2/6/12 - HaysMed Prescribing Exercise Along With Medicine
- 2/3/12 - HaysMed Associate Honored as Most Valuable Citizen
- 2/2/12 - National Fitness Expert Conducts Crazy Combo Exercise Bootcamp Feb 13
- 2/2/12 - Public CPR Training Feb 25
- 2/2/12 - KDOT Crews Play Role in Saving Heart Attack Victim
- 2/2/12 - HaysMed Foundation Receives $35,000
- 2/1/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Scholarship
- 2/1/12 HaysMed Verified as Level III Trauma Center
- 1/30/12 - National Speaker Joe Piscatella to Present at HaysMed
- 1/27/12 HaysMed Working for Health Options
- 1/24/12 - Community Health Needs Assessment
- 1/18/12 - HaysMed Capital Campaign Receives Donation
- 1/6/12 - Kickstart Begins
- 1/5/12 - New Year's Baby at HaysMed
- 1/5/12 - RN Receives HaysMed's First Daisy Award
- 12/2/11 - Weight Loss Program Makes Change
- 12/1/11 HaysMed's Center for Improvement Launches Kickstart
- 11/11/11 - Ellis woman enjoying life after medical 'miracle' at HaysMed
- 10/13/11 - HaysMed Discusses HIE with KHIN
- 9/22/11 - Groundbreaking Set for Larned Hospital
- 9/19/11 - The Center Receives National Accreditation
- 9/9/11 - HaysMed Plans $18.5 Million Expansion
- 9/9/1 - HaysMed Foundation Announces Campaign
- 9/7/11 Drive Thru Flu
- 8/28/11 Mud Mania
- 8/25/11 Mud Run HDN
- 8/22/11 New Nephrologist
- 8/8/11 Chronic Disease Program
- 7/26/11 STRIDE Half Marathon
- 7/20/11 Wound and Hyperbaric
- 7/18/11 Mud Run
- 7/17/11 CHI 10K Run Walk
- 5/4/11 Senior Health and Fitness
- 5/1/11 Senior Focused Care
Groundbreaking set for Larned hospital
By KALEY CONNER Hays Daily News
LARNED -- It's what several people here and in Hays are calling a "success story."
This community of about 4,000 was faced with losing its hospital in June 2009.
Two years later, residents are taking advantage of expanded health services and soon will celebrate the groundbreaking of a new hospital building.
"Seldom do you see a hospital not only survive, but thrive, after an announcement they were going to shut a hospital down," said Shae Veach, vice president of regional operations at Hays Medical Center. "It goes to show the attitude and the inspiration by the people of Pawnee County. They're dedicated to making sure this happens, and so are we."
Hays Medical Center assumed operations of the critical access hospital March 1, 2010, after Catholic Health Initiatives announced plans to close the facility and allow the critical access designation to lapse.
The hospital, now known as Pawnee Valley Community Hospital, soon will see another significant change. Groundbreaking for a new 51,000-square-foot facility will be at 1 p.m. Sunday in Larned.
The building and all of the equipment is owned by Pawnee County. Hays Med handles daily operations and management.
The nearly $18.3 million project will be funded by a total of six mills and a 1-percent sales tax increase approved by Pawnee County voters.
The new facility will be built in the current location following a partial demolition. Operations will continue in an existing three-story wing until construction is complete.
"All services will be completely maintained throughout this whole process," Veach said.
It's hoped the new hospital will be finished in spring 2013, said Matt Heyn, chief executive officer and administrator of the Larned hospital.
The hospital will offer 23 patient rooms and more privacy in the emergency department. Emergency patient areas currently are separated only by curtains, Heyn said.
Another new feature will be an on-site helicopter pad for emergency transports. Patients being air-lifted from Larned are taken to the Larned-Pawnee County Airport.
"Minutes are very valuable with our critical-care patients, and having to transport them across town to the airport is less than ideal," Heyn said.
The building will be smaller than the original St. Joseph Memorial Hospital, which was constructed in the 1950s. That largely is due to continuing growth of outpatient services, he said.
Several services offered in mobile medical trailers, such as CT scans, will be moved inside the building.
The original building was in need of serious repair, costing nearly a quarter of a million dollars annually in maintenance, Heyn said.
Since Hays Med took over management, the hospital -- which previously offered basic inpatient and emergency care -- has grown to include lab, therapy and imaging services. Some minor surgical procedures now are performed in-house.
The hospital's gross revenue also has skyrocketed from about $600,000 monthly to about $1.8 million, he said.
"They've been deprived of health care in this community for years, since probably the '80s," Heyn said of area residents. "They are just ecstatic about the progression that's taken place in health care, the positive buzz and positive momentum health care has brought to Pawnee County."
Community organizers in Larned initially approached Hays Med for help when faced with losing health services, Veach said. Managing a hospital in another community is a first for Hays Med, and also is relatively rare throughout the state, he said.
"We're always willing to help wherever we can. We've learned a lot," Veach said. "Potentially in the future, it could be a model that works throughout the whole system, throughout all of Kansas."