- Are you a candidate for surgery
- Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
- Finance Options
- Getting Started
- History of Bariatric Surgery
- Informational Seminar Schedule
- Nondiscrimination Statement
- Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Our Team
- Southwind Surgical
- Support Groups
- Surgery Information
BMI stands for "Body Mass Index" and is the result of a mathematical formula used to evaluate weight in regards to the distribution of mass compared to one's height. The original formula uses metric measurements:
However, several tables and BMI calculators exist online to make figuring your BMI even easier.
BMI is one way health professionals can classify individuals for procedural qualifications such as bariatric surgeries. Individuals with a BMI too low or too high may not qualify for this type of intervention. BMI calculations also help to identify and stratify individuals at increased risk for such as cardiovascular diseases (heart attack and stroke), cancer, and diabetes.