Hays Medical Center's mission is to provide quality, comprehensive diabetes self-management education. We believe that education is the key to empowering the individual with diabetes to better manage their disease.
We realize it takes the support of a diabetes team (primary physician, diabetes educator, dietician, exercise physiologist, behavioral health advisor, care partner, etc.) to achieve optimal control of their diabetes.
- For participants to become active in their own care and diabetes management
- To provide avenues to be successful in achieving self-management goals
- The program will focus on the national standards of care according to the AADE and ADA
- To provide interactive learning and up to date information on diabetes self management
- To provide education to the caregivers so they feel comfortable in being a part of the support team (Care partners are encouraged to join patients at no additional charge.)
- What is Diabetes?
- Healthy Eating
- Being Active(Exercise)
- Monitoring your blood sugars
- Diabetes medications
- Problem Solving (What to do when your glucose is high or low, sick days, etc.)
- Reducing Risks (Complications)
- Healthy Coping
A comprehensive program which consists of two, 5 hour sessions. (see class content)
- Private consultation with a certified diabetes educator for diabetes education, insulin starts, medication adjustments, pump starts, etc.
- One on one consultation with a dietician for medical nutrition
- Gestational diabetes education classes