- What's New
- 7/14/14 - HaysMed Launches Patient Portal
- 7/9/14 - HaysMed Part of $12.5 Million Dollar Grant to Improve Heart Disease and Stroke Care in Western Kansas
- 6/20/14 - A New Quest for Fun
- 6/10/14 - HaysMed Presents Wound Symposium for Health Professionals
- 6/5/14 - Major Gift Supports Cancer Technology at HaysMed
- 6/2/14 - Kansas March of Dimes Seeking Nominations for Nurse of the Year
- 5/28/14 - Pawnee Valley Community Hospital CEO Accepts Position in Ottawa
- 5/28/14 - Physicians Retire From HaysMed Medical Staff
- 5/22/14 - New Technology Decreases Tumors and Treatment Time
- 5/21/14 - Dreiling/Schmidt Cancer Institute Receives Certification
- 5/20/14 - HaysMed Continues Environmentally Friendly Landscaping
- 5/19/14 - Robot Begins Surgery Rotation at HaysMed
- 5/16/14 - Classes Help Moms Get in Shape
- 5/15/14 - Hospital Week Shines Light on HaysMed, Employees
- 5/13/14 - HaysMed Part of Kansas Initiative for Stroke Survival (KISS)
- 5/9/14 - HaysMed Celebrates Hospital Week
- 5/8/14 - HaysMed Recognized for Maternity Care
- 5/2/14 - HaysMed Foundation Kicks Off Campaign For Radiation Equipment
- 4/23/14 - FREE Summer Program for Kids
- 4/21/14 - Managing Your Chronic Disease Program Scheduled
- 4/21/14 - HaysMed Names New VP/Chief Financial Officer
- 4/18/14 - April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- 4/17/14 - HaysMed Offers Pre/Post Natal Fitness Classes
- 4/8/14 - HaysMed Receives High 5 Recognition
- 4/7/14 - HaysMed Presents Trauma Symposium
- 3/31/14 - Session on Difficult Decisions Upcoming
- 3/28/14 - HaysMed Presents Program on Spiritual Care of Patients and Families
- 3/28/14 - Foundation Grant to HaysMed
- 3/24/14 - HaysMed Launches Robotic Surgery
- 3/17/14 - HaysMed Hosts Public Event on Advance Directives
- 3/13/14 - HaysMed Official Announces Retirement
- 3/13/14 - HaysMed Presents Cancer Symposium 2014
- 3/3/14 - HaysMed Announces Retirement of Vice President
- 2/28/14 - Hays Medical Center Foundation Elects New Officers and Board Members
- 2/7/14 - Public CPR Class Offered at HaysMed
- 2/7/14 - Diabetes and Obesity Class Offered for Nurses and Healthcare Professionals
- 2/7/14 - 12-Lead EKG Class Offered for Healthcare Professionals
- 2/5/14 - HaysMed Official Says Shots Helping With Flu Cases
- 2/5/14 - ER Program Puts Patients on Fast Track
- 1/31/14 - HaysMed Cancer Institute Gets New Look
- 1/29/14 - Cancer Detection Gets Boost
- 1/28/14 - 3D Mammography Now Available at HaysMed
- 1/24/14 - HaysMed Begins Seeing Patients in Newly Remodeled Dreiling/Schmidt Cancer Institute
- 1/23/14 - HaysMed Hospice Offers Volunteer Training
- 1/17/14 - HaysMed Launches New Birthing Initiative
- 11/22/13 - All American Breakfast Benefits HaysMed Hospice
- 11/13/13 - HaysMed Receives Primary Stroke Center Hospital Certification
- 11/11/13 - Hansen Foundation Funds Grant to HaysMed
- 11/7/13 - HaysMed DNV, ISO Certified
- 11/7/13 - Changes Taking Place at HaysMed
- 11/5/13 - HaysMed Announces Change in Services
- 11/3/13 - Four New Physicians Join HaysMed
- 11/1/13 - HaysMed Welcomes Three New Cardiologists
- 10/25/13 - Alliance Aids Patients
- 10/21/13 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar 2013
- 10/7/13 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled October 20
- 10/3/13 - HaysMed Unveils "One Stop Shop"
- 10/2/13 - Remembering Together Walk Scheduled
- 9/30/2013 - HaysMed a State Health Champion
- 9/27/13 - HaysMed Opens Clinic in Great Bend
- 9/26/13 - Breast Care Center and Imaging Now Seeing Patients at New Location at HaysMed
- 9/23/13 - How to Live Healthier with Congestive Heart Failure
- 9/20/13 - Last Chance Seminar for EMTs/Nurses
- 9/19/13 - Professional Forensic Program Scheduled
- 9/13/13 - HaysMed Offers Up Overseas Fare
- 9/9/13 - Groups Partner on Stroll to Help Promote Infant Care
- 9/1/13 - HaysMed Provides Nurse Hotline
- 8/25/13 - Mud Run Ends With Wedding Vows
- 8/19/2013 - Living Your LIfe Better When You Suffer from Chronic Disease
- 8/14/13 - Teen Speaker Shares Stories of Life With Type 1 Diabetes
- 8/2/13 - X-Treme Zone After School Program Offered
- 7/16/13 - Big Creek Mud Run
- 7/15/13 - Bargains on the Bricks FREE Bootcamp Workout
- 7/7/13 - Chest Pain Accreditation
- 7/1/13 - Breast Care Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 6/28/13 - Free Family Bootcamp Workout
- 6/24/13 - HaysMed Designated Accredited Chest Pain Center
- 5/16/13 - Free Program on Stroke Offered
- 5/15/13 - KOMEN Race an Overwhelming Success
- 5/12/13 - Local Race for a Cure - Celebrate Survivors
- 5/6/13 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp Scheduled at CHI
- 5/6/13 - Senior Health and FItness Day Scheduled May 29
- 5/3/13 - Event shows how important time is with strokes
- 5/2/13 - Let's Talk on Arthritis Scheduled May 16
- 4/29/13 - HaysMed Offers KidsQuest Summer Program
- 4/17/13 - HaysMed Heart Clinic Makes Move to New Wing
- 4/12/13 - DeBakey Heart Institute Opens Newly Remodeled Clinic
- 4/11/13 - FREE Park Crawl Exercise Workout
- 4/4/13 - Clean Machine
- 4/1/13 - SANE sees progress; more needed
- 3/17/13 - HaysMed Serves Up New Menu
- 3/17/13 - Dominoes Falling Into Place at HaysMed
- 3/13/13 - Let's Talk About Back Pain Scheduled for March 28
- 3/13/13 - HaysMed Signs Agreements With All KanCare's MCOs
- 3/12/13 - 11th Annual Sports Medicine Symposium Scheduled
- 3/1/13 - HaysMed Foundation New Board Members and Officers
- 1/29/13 - Public CPR Training at HaysMed
- 1/17/13 - HaysMed Helps United Way Reach Goal
- 1/14/13 - 99.3% of HaysMed Healthcare Workers Receive Flu Shot
- 1/14/13 - Living Better With Chronic Diseases
- 1/13/13 - HaysMed Restricts Visitor Access
- 1/11/13 - HaysMed, Patients Await Changes
- 1/11/13 - Visitor Restrictions at HaysMed
- 1/7/13 - New Year's Baby
- 1/7/2013 - New Physician Joins HaysMed
- 1/7/2013 - HaysMed Offers KickStart
- 12/26/12 - Hospitals Gaining Access to Electronic Health Records
- 12/13/12 - New Member Appointed to HaysMed Board
- 11/27/12 - HaysMed Expands Cancer Institute and Breast Care Center
- 11/26/12 - KickStart Registration Begins Dec 1
- 11/7/12 - HayMed Emergency Department Renovations
- 10/26/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/25/12 - Patient Simulator Used for Training at HaysMed
- 10/25/12 - FDA NECC Product Recall
- 10/17/12 - Flu Season
- 10/15/12 - HaysMed Volunteer Bazaar
- 10/2/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 10/2/12 - Drive Thru Flu Shots Scheduled
- 9/18/12 - FREE Park Crawl Workout Sept 29
- 9/17/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/16/12 - Expo Will Help Parents of Infants
- 9/5/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 9/2/12 - HaysMed Hepatitis C Update
- 8/28/12 - FREE Chronic Disease Program Offered at HaysMed
- 8/27/12 - Mud Run 2012
- 8/26/12 - New Hampshire Hospital Continues Tests
- 8/27/12 - Flamingo 5K Scheduled Oct 13
- 8/23/12 - Parking Lot Closure
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Names New Chief Medical Officer
- 8/13/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 8/12/12 - Negative Test Delights Woman
- 8/11/12 - Hepatitis C Update
- 8/5/12 - Details Emerging on Serial Infector
- 7/30/12 - HaysMed Named Best Place to Work in Healthcare for 5th Year
- 7/29/12 - Hays Daily News Editorial Hep C
- 7/25/12 - Mud Run Scheduled August 26
- 7/22/12 - HaysMed/KDHE Look to Alert Patients
- 7/20/12 - HaysMed /KDHE Investigate Potential Hepatitis C Exposures
- 7/19/12 - KU Cancer Center Director Visits HaysMed
- 7/19/12 - Doctors Look Forward to Digital Exchange
- 7/15/12 - CHI Promotes Exercise is Medicine
- 6/28/12 - Wind Sculptures Dedicated at HaysMed
- 6/21/12 - HaysMed Receives Kansas Health Foundation Grant
- 6/18/12 - HaysMed Declared Emergent Stroke Ready by the American Heart Association
- 6/14/12 - Area Hospital Participate in Safety Initiative
- 5/23/12 - CHI Triathlon Scheduled June 23
- 5/21/12 - Mixed Martial Arts Summer Camp for Teens
- 5/10/12 - Beam Signing Held at HaysMed Bickle Family Tower
- 5/9/12 - HaysMed Breast Center Receives KOMEN Grant
- 5/3/12 - Bully Prevention Summer Camp
- 5/1/12 - Sr. Health and Fitness Day Scheduled May 30
- 4/30/12 - Dr. Vic Eddy Outpatient Surgical Unit Dedicated at HaysMed
- 4/26/12 - HaysMed Launches ONE CALL
- 4/24/12 - Cancer Transitions Program Begins May 3
- 4/16/12 - Adventure Zone Summer Camp for Kids
- 4/15/12 - Hays Events Prescribe Healthy Habits
- 4/11/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Board Changes
- 4/10/12 - HaysMed Event Promotes Healthy Living
- 4/3/12 - Free Chronic Disease Management Program Begins May 3
- 3/26/12 - Nutrition Bootcamp Scheduled
- 3/26/12 - Breast Cancer Survivors Program
- 3/23/12 - New Lift System at HaysMed
- 3/20/12 - 10K Walk/Run Scheduled April 28
- 3/18/12 - HaysMed Provides Services to Western Kansas
- 3/15/12 - Family Adventure to Health
- 2/14/12 - Bootcamp "Crazy" for Participants
- 2/6/12 - CHI Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- 2/6/12 - Events Highlight CHI Celebration
- 2/6/12 - HaysMed Prescribing Exercise Along With Medicine
- 2/3/12 - HaysMed Associate Honored as Most Valuable Citizen
- 2/2/12 - National Fitness Expert Conducts Crazy Combo Exercise Bootcamp Feb 13
- 2/2/12 - Public CPR Training Feb 25
- 2/2/12 - KDOT Crews Play Role in Saving Heart Attack Victim
- 2/2/12 - HaysMed Foundation Receives $35,000
- 2/1/12 Hays Medical Center Foundation Announces Scholarship
- 2/1/12 HaysMed Verified as Level III Trauma Center
- 1/30/12 - National Speaker Joe Piscatella to Present at HaysMed
- 1/27/12 HaysMed Working for Health Options
- 1/24/12 - Community Health Needs Assessment
- 1/18/12 - HaysMed Capital Campaign Receives Donation
- 1/6/12 - Kickstart Begins
- 1/5/12 - New Year's Baby at HaysMed
- 1/5/12 - RN Receives HaysMed's First Daisy Award
- 12/2/11 - Weight Loss Program Makes Change
- 12/1/11 HaysMed's Center for Improvement Launches Kickstart
- 11/11/11 - Ellis woman enjoying life after medical 'miracle' at HaysMed
- 10/13/11 - HaysMed Discusses HIE with KHIN
- 9/22/11 - Groundbreaking Set for Larned Hospital
- 9/19/11 - The Center Receives National Accreditation
- 9/9/11 - HaysMed Plans $18.5 Million Expansion
- 9/9/1 - HaysMed Foundation Announces Campaign
- 9/7/11 Drive Thru Flu
- 8/28/11 Mud Mania
- 8/25/11 Mud Run HDN
- 8/22/11 New Nephrologist
- 8/8/11 Chronic Disease Program
- 7/26/11 STRIDE Half Marathon
- 7/20/11 Wound and Hyperbaric
- 7/18/11 Mud Run
- 7/17/11 CHI 10K Run Walk
- 5/4/11 Senior Health and Fitness
- 5/1/11 Senior Focused Care
Hays Med plans $18.5M expansion
Published on -9/8/2011, 10:27 AM
Hays Med Foundation announces campaign
By KALEY CONNER
Hays Medical Center administrators this morning announced plans to expand the hospital's main building and remodel several existing departments.
The plan, with a price tag of about $18.5 million, will add about 65,000 square feet of office and clinic space. The expansion largely is a result of Hays Med's continued growth, Chief Executive Officer Dr. John Jeter said.
"We're not doing it just to do it. It's, I think, related to patient safety," Jeter said. "Things aren't designed right, or are too crowded, and it can become a patient safety issue. We've had a lot of input from nursing staff and physicians."
The first, and most visible, phase of the several-tiered plan will be construction of a new four-story tower between the Miller Medical Pavilion and DeBakey Heart Institute on the hospital's south side.
Construction of the Bickle Family Tower, named for Hays Med benefactor Don Bickle, is expected to begin in mid-October. It should be finished by November 2012.
The second floor of the new space will be dedicated to the DeBakey Heart Institute cardiology clinic. The clinic will be connected by a staircase to the first floor of the DeBakey Heart Institute.
"They've just grown beyond our expectations," Jeter said of the clinic. "It's uncomfortable for staff, patients, everybody -- and we're going to continue to grow."
The addition also will include "shell space" that can be used in the future for expanding services, as well as a significant amount of space for staff offices.
"The other pressing problem we've had in the last few years is the recognition that we needed more physician office space," he said. "We were simply at capacity, and with more doctors coming, we're really not sure where to put them."
The extra room will allow Hays Med's information technology staff, part of which is housed at the Hadley Center, to return to the main campus.
The other component of the project will be an extensive remodel of several departments.
Architectural studies have found the building's oldest tower, constructed in the early 1970s as St. Anthony's Hospital, remains structurally sound, but updates are needed, Jeter said.
All inpatient bathrooms will receive a significant renovation, and plumbing infrastructure will be updated at the same time. That project will occur in eight nine-week phases, said Dale Montgomery, vice president of support services.
Other departments, last updated about 15 years ago, also are needing a facelift, Jeter said.
"There's a few departments that were designed back in the mid-90s and simply don't function by today's standards," he said. "In 15 years, there's been so much change in health care and technology. And we've had more demands, more patients, sicker patients, bigger patients."
The outpatient cancer services area in the Dreiling/Schmidt Cancer Institute also will see several changes. That project could be completed in two phases, the first of which would include enlarging the guest waiting area, Montgomery said.
A possible second phase, which would renovate treatment rooms, will begin in a few years.
A second C-section operating room will be added to the labor and delivery unit, as well as another labor/delivery room and a recovery room. As administrative staff moves into the office tower, the Newborn Intensive Care Unit will be moved to another space down the hall, further expanding the unit.
The labor/delivery unit was designed in 1996 for 600 deliveries per year. The hospital now performs more than 700 deliveries each year, including many high-risk cases.
"We haven't had a tremendous growth in the number of deliveries, but we've probably had a growth in the complexity of the deliveries and the complexity of the babies that we take care of," Jeter said. "There's been technology changes."
The outpatient surgery unit, located in the Miller Medical Pavilion, will be remodeled to make patient cubicles larger and more private.
As departments shift space, more room also will be available for growth. Hays Med's Breast Care Center, which opened in May at Oak Park Medical Complex, will be moved into a first-floor office suite, along with breast imaging.
Other departments currently landlocked, such as radiology and the emergency department, will have room to grow in the future, Jeter said.
"There's new clinical services and new procedures that just seem to pop up all the time, and we have no place to put them," he said.
Interior remodeling also could begin as early as next month, though administrators hope to work around the hospital's peak-census months.
While interior construction likely will be disruptive, steps will be taken to ensure any disturbances are as minimal as possible, Montgomery said.
"We'll certainly close off that (construction) space ... which means we will build walls and contain the construction," he said. "We will have a clear line of communication to nursing staff."
The construction plan has been about three years in the making, Jeter said. Original plans have been downsized, partly due to economic uncertainty stemming from national health insurance reform, he said.
"We're doing it at a cost we think is affordable, given the uncertainties in the American economy," Jeter said. "It's taken us three years to get to this point, but I think we're really excited about what we're doing."