We first provide hands-on therapy to reduce the size of the affected limb and then teach each person to successfully manage their specific conditions. Our therapist is Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) certified. CDT is a painless, noninvasive treatment using techniques that consist of:
• Proper skin and nail care to reduce risk of infections
• Manual lymph drainage (MLD) – a gentle manual technique that routes lymph fluid away from the
area toward adjacent functioning lymph nodes.
• Specialized compression bandaging
• Remedial exercises or exercises that address related orthopedic dysfunctionsand lymphatic flow
• Instructions in self-care techniques including self-MLD and self-bandaging
• Compression garment fitting
The length of treatment depends upon which limb is involved and the severity of the swelling. Success depends on the patient's willingness to follow the prescribed treatments and their commitment to long-term self-management.