785-623-5900 | Submit an Email
2500 Canterbury Drive
Hays, KS 67601 | Directions
An internship at The Center for Health Improvement (The Center) will not only provide you with the requirements needed to fulfill your college degree, but an experience that will lead you to your future career. The Center is a state of the art nationally accredited medical fitness facility that offers its members top of the line programs and services. As an intern at The Center you will be able to learn and interact in all of the same programs and services available to our members. Our outpatient clinics (Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, etc.) are available as additional resources and experiences during one’s internship. A complete list of an intern’s responsibilities and other duties can be found below. This not meant to be an all –inclusive list of your duties and experiences at The Center; we strive to make our internships customizable to each student’s needs and interests.
We offer two 12 week internships per semester at 20 to 40 hours per week depending on your college’s requirements. Prerequisites and application for the internship can be accessed below. In addition to the completed application please send a cover letter, resume (with references) and an official transcript to the internship supervisor by the deadline. listed below . The actual starting date for the internship can be arranged at a convenient time for both parties.
Please contact the intern supervisor with any questions. We appreciate your interest in an internship at our facility and look forward to offering you an incredible experience.
- • Learn and follow HaysMed and The Center for Health Improvement polices and procedures
- • Provide quality customer service and attend to members’ needs
- • Conduct fitness assessments; evaluate member’s current fitness status, aid in setting realistic goals based on member’s functional level and physical limitations
- • Assist in program planning and designing exercise programs using
- FitLinxx system
- • Teach and attend various group fitness classes
- • Observe within the following departments/programs at The Center:
- o Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- o Physical Therapy
- o Occupational Therapy
- o Athletic Training
- o Personal Training
- o Kid’s Programs
- o Assist in upcoming event planning
- o Ongoing Programs * this is a brief list of available programs/departments
- • Observe Personal Training Sessions
- • Train with The Center Personal Trainers (a Personal Trainer will lead you through an hour Personal Training session)
- • Design a 30min personal training session for The Center Personal Trainers
- • Design and implement an 8 week Program.
- • Internship Project – will be chosen by fitness director and internship supervisor
- • Meet with The Center for Health Improvement Managers
- • Miscellaneous:
- o Filing
- o Clean Equipment
- • Cover letter, resume (with references), official transcripts, and application to The Center’s Internship Supervisor
- • Minimum of 60 hours of college level course credits
- • 2 of the following Upper Level courses
- o Exercise Physiology
- o Kinesiology
- o Clinical Exercise Physiology
- o Instrumentation
- • CPR Certification required (HaysMed provides an opportunity for you to obtain these certifications if you are not already certified)
- • Experience in:
- o Principles of exercise physiology
- o General wellness/clinical/recreation programs
- o Taking blood pressures, 7-site skinfolds, target heart rates, waist-to-hip measurements, flexibility and cardiovascular testing
- o Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and general public
- o Effective communication
- • An initial interview with the Internship Supervisor will be conducted
- • CPR Certification must be completed. HaysMed offers a course the week of Associate Orientation. If you have completed American Heart Association CPR/First Aid or have American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer you will not have to complete the HaysMed course.
- • TB Skin Test must be completed prior to start of internship
- • Flu shot must be completed prior to start of internship (only if internship is being done between October 1 and March 1)
- • Personal Training with The Center members will be observation only. If intern has a personal training certification from an NCCA accredited institute you may have an opportunity to train our members.