Sleep & Neurodiagnostic
2500 Canterbury Drive
Hays, KS 67601 | Directions
A good night’s sleep is important to your well-being. Since most people spend roughly one third of their lives asleep, it’s easy to see how the quality of sleep directly affects the quality of your life.
One out of three Americans has a sleep disorder which makes sleeping or waking hours miserable. Many of these people suffer needlessly simply because they are unaware that a problem exists.
Once detected, most sleep disorders can be corrected. The following simple test is designed to alert you to any problems which may result from sleep disorders.
Your Sleep Physicians
Test the Quality of Your Sleep
Here’s a quick test that can help determine the quality of your sleep. If you experience any of the following symptoms on a regular basis, circle the # of each statement which applies to you.
1. I’ve been told that I snore loudly.
2. I’ve been told that I stop breathing or gasp for breath while I sleep, although I don’t remember this when I wake up.
3. I have high blood pressure.
4. My friends and family say they have noticed changes in my personality.
5. I am gaining weight.
6. I sweat excessively during the night.
7. I have noticed my heart pounding or beating irregularly during the night.
8. I get morning headaches.
9. I seem to be losing my sex drive.
10. No matter how hard I try to stay awake, I still fall asleep-even after a full night’s sleep.
11. When I experience strong emotions such as anger, fear, or surprise I go limp.
12. I have fallen asleep while driving – even after a full night’s sleep.
13. I experience vivid dreamlike scenes upon or soon after falling asleep.
14. I have fallen asleep during physical effort.
15. I feel as though I have to cram a full day into every hour to get anything done.
16. I have trouble at work or school because of sleepiness.
17. I often feel totally paralyzed for brief periods when falling asleep or just after wakening.
18. I have to use antacids almost every week for stomach trouble and wake up with heartburn.
19. I have a chronic cough.
20. I have morning hoarseness.
21. I wake up at night coughing or wheezing.
22. I have frequent sore throats.
23. Even though I slept through the night, I still feel sleepy during the day.
24. Other than when exercising, I still experience muscle tension, aching or crawling sensations in my leg.
25. I ‘ve been told that I kick at night.
26. I experience leg pain during the night.
27. Sometimes I can’t keep my legs still at night. I just have to move them.
28. I awaken with sore or aching muscles.
29. Thoughts race through my mind and this prevents me from sleeping.
30. I wake up during the night and can’t go back to sleep.
31. I worry about things and have trouble relaxing.
32. I wake up earlier in the morning then I would like to.
33. I lie awake for a half an hour or more before I fall asleep.
34. I feel sad and depressed. I feel afraid to go to sleep.
Questions 1-10: These symptoms describe people with Sleep Apnea, a potentially life-threatening disorder which causes you to stop breathing during your sleep.
Questions 11-17: These symptoms are experienced by people with Narcolepsy, a lifelong disorder characterized by uncontrollable sleep attacks during the day.
Questions 18-23: These are symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux, a disorder caused when stomach acid “backs up” into the throat during the night.
Questions 24-28: These symptoms describe Nocturnal Myoclonus or Restless Legs Syndrome, a disorder characterized by pain or “crawling” sensations in the legs.
Questions 29-34: These symptoms are experienced by people with Insomnia, a persistent inability to fall asleep or stay asleep.
For more information, contact:
Hays Medical Center Sleep and Neurodiagnostic
Remember that the test you have just completed describes symptoms that are similar to those of individuals with sleep disorders. It is intended as a general source of educational information and should not be used for diagnosis or treatment. Your physician can refer you to the HMC Sleep and Neurodiagnostic Institute, where you can be assured that you will get an in-depth evaluation by highly qualified medical personnel.